I've managed to successfully read two books since my last post, the one I had talked about which had a far more entertaining end than I had anticipated, and a second called Mistress of Rome which was one of those books you were sad to put down.
So. Nefertiti. It was told mostly from the PoV of her sister which was lovely and everything, but it wasn't so much about Nefertiti but rather what her sister Mutny thought of her and the Pharoh. Entertaining read with a note about the historical accuracy at the end of it from the author. Parts of it were definitely heart-wrenching and emotional which really brought Mutny to life for me. I almost wish that it had switched between the sisters so you could really get inside Nefertiti's head and thoughts, but overall it was a wonderful read.
Mistress of Rome was another fabulous book, told from different perspectives simultaneously which was really fun to read, you could figure out the motives of all the people from the slave girl, to the gladiator, to the senator and his son, it was just amazing. One of the best books I think I've read in quite some time. It's the story about Emperor Domitian and his inevitable downfall and the story of the people involved along the way. Really a fabulous read and again, a note at the end regarding historical accuracy which was, quite accurate. The level of detail with some of the descriptions was simply wonderful.
I've since added about 5 books to my TBR pile and it's only going to get bigger I've decided. I'm also in the middle of the Kitchen Daughter, but the perspective it's told from makes it very difficult for me to get into it. The main character is very odd, weird, quirky, and its written the way she is written so it comes off as disjointed and not well put together. I'm about a third of the way in and still don't know what the girl's issue is or why it's all jumbled which is a bit annoying. I liked the idea of the book more than I'm liking the actual telling of the story, which I find very disappointing.
In other news, Tammy has introduced me to some amazing books via her blog and her babbling after the YA writers conference she went to and I've decided I need to set a book budget every year because otherwise I'll be broke and be able to open my own bookstore/library by the time I'm 30 with just books I personally own.
Happy reading to everyone out there!
No comments:
Post a Comment