Friday, September 16, 2011

Number Three

I've come to the conclusion I am HORRIBLE at blogging.

Moving past that.

I finished A Blight of Mages by Karen Miller. Absolutely brilliant book, a prequel of sorts to the other 4 mage books she's written. I was very concerned through most of the book as I knew where it needed to end and was not quite sure how it would end up there, but as always, she writes the most amazing stories and the way she tied it all together... absolute genius!

For those who don't know, Karen Miller is one of the most talented authors I've read in quite some time. The Mage books are about magic, obviously, but it's not just waving a magic wand and poof! there's bunny coming out of your hat, no. There are complicated things involved, pronunciation, sigils, catalysts, and it's not simple and easy either. The mages who perform the magic actually experience a weakening, physical. In the 4 books mentioned this is apparent by things like a bloody nose, or other events. So lovely.

I've expanded my reading list by a million but I've also made my first foray into the digital world.

Based off an entry I read from Tammy's blog that linked me to another blog, I came across a book that sounded delightful, The Girl in the Steel Corset. Back in July I actually purchased that book from the store, however, I learned there was a digital only prequel to it! The Strange Case of Finely Jayne. I borrowed a Kindle and purchased this short novella (for the lovely price of $0) and was pleasantly surprised. It was very well written, thoughtful, and totally stood on its own as a book. and reading on the Kindle actually wasn't too bad.

Now I won't be giving up my good old fashioned paper, ink, and physical book weight at any point in the relative future, but I'm not completely averse to the idea if it's my only option.

Sadly however, my reading days are numbered. Work is getting far too busy and books just will not get knocked out as fast. No worries, my shelves will continue to fill up with good reads just waiting to be cracked.

Until next book fellow readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment